Location: New York, New York
Academic / Research
The people of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK) are united by a singular mission: ending cancer for life. Our specialized care teams provide personalized, compassionate, expert care to patients of all ages. Informed by basic research done at our Sloan Kettering Institute, scientists across MSK collaborate to conduct innovative translational and clinical research that is driving a revolution in our understanding of cancer as a disease and improving the ability to prevent, diagnose, and treat it. MSK is dedicated to training the next generation of scientists and clinicians, who go on to pursue our mission at MSK and around the globe. One of the world's most respected comprehensive centers devoted exclusively to cancer, we have been recognized as one of the top two cancer hospitals in the country by U.S. News & World Report for more than 30 years.
In compliance with applicable State regulatory authorities, COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory for all MSK staff. Staff are considered fully vaccinated upon completion of a primary vaccination series for COVID-19 (i.e., one dose of a single dose vaccine or a final dose of a multi-dose vaccine series). Exceptions from the COVID-19 vaccine requirement are permitted for those who request and receive an approved medical or fully remote exemption. Requests for medical exemption can take up to two weeks to review. Vaccination or an approved medical exemption is required to start work.
*Staff working at a MSK New Jersey location must be up to date with COVID-19 vaccination, which includes having completed the primary COVID-19 vaccination series and booster once eligible as mandated by New Jersey State. All New Jersey staff not yet eligible for a booster must receive a booster within 3 weeks of becoming eligible as a condition of continued employment at MSK.
Note: Individuals are eligible to receive a COVID-19 booster two months after completion of a primary vaccination series for COVID-19. Because vaccine-induced immunity can wane over time, MSK continues to strongly urge all staff to get a COVID-19 booster as soon as they become eligible to maintain their protective immunity for a longer period.
The Research Animal Resource Center (RARC) is a component of the Center of Comparative Medicine and Pathology. We provide staff and facilities to effect the humane care and use of animals used in research and instructing at MSKCC. We are currently seeking a Veterinary Technician who will provide health care to laboratory animals maintained at MSKCC and occasionally WCMC by evaluating cases and implementing treatment in consultation with the veterinary staff. Are you ready to begin your career in Animal Resources?
- Perform rounds and coordinate animals to assess compliance and animal health and well-being.
- Evaluate and assess common disease conditions and reports problems.
- Coordinate clinical treatment, collect diagnostic and environmental samples, and coordinate euthanasia.
- Perform or assist with routine quarantine procedures on primates, dogs, cats, farm animals and rodents.
- Participate in the rodent sentinel health surveillance program.
- Prepare and prioritize the operating room for procedures, including preparation and sterilization of surgical instruments and supplies.
- Assist and coordinate with veterinarians and investigators in surgical procedures
- Coordinate the Veterinary Services pharmacy and dispenses supplies, medication and controlled substances to investigators.
- Associates Degree / Certified Vocational Training in Veterinary Science, Veterinary Technology, or Animal Health Science OR Bachelor's Degree in Life or Natural Sciences.
- AALAS certification at a minimum of the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) level strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with the use of various monitoring modalities and anesthesia equipment.
- Outstanding written and verbal skills and familiarity with Microsoft Suite.
- Detail oriented and outstanding organization skills with excellent interpersonal skills
- Monday - Friday, 9AM to 5PM. Rotating weekends.
Are you ready to learn more about our Benefits?
Pay Range $24.52-$36.77
sign-on bonus: $1,000, subject to taxes, to be paid out after successful completion of first 90 days of employment
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.