Those who have joined the Banner mission come from all walks of life, united by the common goal: Make health care easier, so life can be better. If changing health care for the better sounds like something you want to be part of, we want to hear from you!
Banner Boswell has been providing excellent patient care with compassion, integrity, and respect to the northwest area of metropolitan Phoenix since 1970. We believe patient care is most effective when it's truly collaborative. Our evidence-based, multidisciplinary approach brings together physicians from all cancer specialties to provide highly coordinated and compassionate care. Our cancer experts include medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists, physician specialists, nurses, and clinical support staff.
As a Patient Financial Service Rep you will work in a high energy atmosphere where you will have the ability to make a difference in people's lives. This position works with the registration, admitting and patient financial services functions and staff for the medical center's outpatient Oncology unit. You will help provide patients, patient families and medical staff customers with high quality service experiences. Your expertise with check in, patient registration, insurance verification, scheduling, and collection of patient responsibility will help with making the clinic run smoothly.
Clinic hours are Mon-Fri 8am - 4:30pm No Weekends!!!!
Since 1970, Banner Boswell Medical Center has provided exceptional care to the people in the northwest area of metropolitan Phoenix. Today, our 501-bed acute-care hospital is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of Phoenix's Best Hospitals and offers a full range of acute care services, including cardiology, oncology, orthopedics, neurology, surgery, rehabilitation, emergency, stroke, intensive care, pulmonary, urology, wound management and sleep disorders. We've earned the Gold Seal of Approval from The Joint Commission for Primary Stroke Centers. We're also in the nation's top five percent for preventing mortality and complications.
POSITION SUMMARY This position coordinates a smooth patient flow process by answering phones, scheduling patient appointments, providing registration of patient and insurance information, obtaining required signatures following established processes, procedures and standards. This position also verifies insurance coverage, validates referrals and authorizations, collects patient liability and provides financial guidance to patients to maximize medical services reimbursement efforts. This also includes accurately posting patients at the point of service and releasing information in accordance with organizational and compliance policies and guidelines.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Performs registration/check-in processes, including but not limited to performing data entry activities, providing patients with appropriate information and intake forms, obtaining necessary signatures and generating population health summary.
2. Verifies insurance eligibility benefits for services rendered with the payors and documents appropriately. Assists in obtaining or validating pre-certification, referrals, and authorizations
3. Calculates and collects patient liability according to verification of insurance benefits and expected reimbursement. Explains and provides financial policies and available resources for alternative payment arrangements to patients and their families.
4. Enters payments/charges for services rendered and performs daily payment/charge reconciliation in a timely and accurate manner. Balances cash drawer at the beginning and end of the day and prepares daily bank deposit with necessary paperwork sent to centralized billing for record purposes.
5. Schedules office visits and procedures within the medical practice(s) and external practices as necessary. Maximizes reimbursement by scheduling patients in accordance with payor plan provisions. Confirms patient appointments for the following day as necessary and ensures patients are properly prepared for visits.
6. Demonstrates proactive interpersonal communications skills while dealing with patient concerns through telephone calls, emails and in-person conversations. Optimizes patient flow by using effective customer service/communication skills by communicating to internal and external customers, care team, management, centralized services and HIMS.
7. Assists in responding to requests for patient medical records according to company policies and procedures, and state and federal laws.
8. Provides a variety of patient services to assist in patient flow including but not limited to escorting patients, taking vitals and patient history, assisting in patient treatment, distributing mail and fax information, ordering supplies, etc.
9. Works independently under regular supervision and follows structured work routines. Works in a fast paced, multi-task environment with high volume and immediacy needs requiring independent decision making and sound judgment to prioritize work and ensure appropriateness and timeliness of each patient's care. This position requires the ability to retain large amounts of changing payor information/knowledge crucial to attaining reimbursement for the services provided. Primary external customers include patients and their families, physician office staff and third party payors.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
Requires knowledge of patient financial services, financial, collecting services or insurance industry experience processes normally acquired over one or more years of work experience. Requires the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal supervision and to work independently. Requires strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills to effectively interact with a wide range of audiences. Strong knowledge in the use of common office software, word processing, spreadsheet, and database software are required.
Employees working at BUMG, BUMCT, or BUMCS in a Behavioral Health clinical setting that serves children must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Work experience with the Company's systems and processes is preferred. Previous cash collections experience is preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.