Banner Health believes leadership matters, and we look for people who share our vision making health care easier, so life can be better. Our leaders are at the front of the health care transformation, planning the future of Banner Health.
As the Executive Chef & Senior Manager you are responsible for menu and recipe design, food production, catering, quality, presentation and specifications of all food ordered, as well as leadership of culinary staff. You will have the opportunity to provide direction and leadership to employees while organizing, managing, and coordinating department operations. You will provide outstanding support to our patients and staff members making them feel cared for and exhibit energy, enthusiasm and excitement about your work.
If you are looking for a growth opportunity with a fantastic company and a chance to lead an amazing team of professionals, then we'd like to hear from you!
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Nonprofit Banner Thunderbird Medical Center opened its doors in 1983 and has been growing ever since to meet the health care needs of the communities it serves in northwest metropolitan Phoenix. Today, the 555-bed hospital - one of the largest hospitals in the state - is annually ranked as one of the top hospitals in the Phoenix metropolitan area by US News & World Report and enjoys a reputation as the preferred provider of care to children and adults in the area in consumer preference surveys. The tertiary care hospital provides everything from routine to advanced, specialized care to both adult and pediatric patients. Specialized services include cardiology, orthopedic surgery, pediatrics, neurosurgery, robotic surgery, stroke care and a women and infants services program. Additionally, in partnership with top-ranked MD Anderson Cancer Center, Banner Thunderbird also offers state-of-the-art cancer care. Banner Thunderbird is certified as a Joint Commission Primary Stroke Center and features a 35-bed Level III neonatal intensive care unit that cares for babies of high-risk pregnancies and those born prematurely. Banner Thunderbird is also home to the only pediatric intensive care unit for seriously ill or injured children in the area. If you would like to contribute to truly leading edge caring, we invite you to bring your experience and skills to Banner Thunderbird.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for menu and recipe design, food production, all upscale catering (at a 4-star level when required), aesthetic appearance of food, quality, presentation and specifications of all food ordered, and leadership of all appropriate culinary staff to make the hospital's culinary program function at a superior level.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Provides professional culinary advice/expertise for all activities associated with the production of food in the department. This position trains, develops and coordinates culinary activities for all production staff.
2. Plans (in concert with the Department Head) all new retail concepts in the department. Designs retail menus and produces reports to support all retail activity to achieve maximum revenue.
3. Establishes quality control standards in the food production area. Determines ingredients, standardizes and scales recipes and approves final preparation of each menu item. Recommends department standard operating procedures in terms of purchasing and inventory management and for meeting all regulatory agency requirements.
4. Provides direction for all personnel activities in the production areas including hiring, selection, orientation, training, and culinary skill development. Responsible for coaching, documentation of training, competencies, assessments/evaluations and discipline. Provides proper training on all necessary equipment (including documentation) with a strong emphasis on safety.
5. Researches, collects and produces data to justify current retail and patient menu decisions including retail revenue and expense information, FTE requirements and projects operations budgets for future years. Must be able to demonstrate a detailed knowledge of recipe costing and pricing along with recipe margin menu mix decisions.
6. Responsible for sanitary practices and methods in the production area and for quality standards including portion/temperature/waste control and the departments HACCP system.
7. Researches, develops specifications, and instructs staff on recipe production to meet budget. Prescribes ingredients plus handling and storage routines for all food produced in the department.
8. Interacts with all varieties of customers including physicians, facility leadership, culinary and hospital staff, volunteers and visitors to satisfy their needs and resolve customer concerns, using all of the Banner Behaviors. Works independently under the general direction of the Department Head utilizing specialized knowledge and skill to provide high quality catering and retail food services. Responsible for the supervision of staff, operations and financial control of specific areas of the Food Service/Culinary Department ensuring cost effective and efficient operations.
Requires skills, knowledge and ability normally obtained from the completion of a four (or more) year Professional Chef training and apprenticeship program and/or a Bachelors degree in Food Service Management or related field.
Must have a current ServSafe certificate for food safety, handling, ordering, production, and serving, and/or a current managerial food certification approved and recognized by the Conference for Food Protection and certified food manager license from the appropriate county Environmental Health Division.
Three years of work experience in a combination of the following: As a Sous Chef, Baker, quantity hot food production cook, Kitchen Manager and/or large scale catering food production and service. Must be able to organize, lead and direct work teams and demonstrate effective communication and team building skills. Must be able to effectively problem solve with staff, physicians, families, and patients. Must be proficient in menu design for retail, catering, and gourmet dining and in up-scale catering and be able to design, organize and produce gourmet meals in a minimal time-frame single-handedly. Continued training and education in current food and nutrition for updated knowledge.
Must be able to use common office software efficiently including Excel spreadsheets. Must effectively work with the electronic medical record and its applications as needed.
Experience in healthcare. Experience with Infogenesis and CBORD applications. Bilingual skills in Spanish/ English are a plus.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.