As one of the nation’s leading pediatric health care systems, Nemours is committed to providing all children with their best chance to grow up healthy. We offer integrated, family-centered care to more than 300,000 children each year in our pediatric hospitals, specialty clinics and primary care practices in Delaware, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Nemours strives to ensure a healthier tomorrow for all children – even those who may never enter our doors – through our world-changing research, education and advocacy efforts. At Nemours, our Associates help us deliver on the promise we make to every family we have the privilege of serving: to treat their child as if they were our own.
This position is responsible for: Assisting with general activities of the patient care unit and assist the health care team with performance of patient care activities, under the direction and guidance of a Registered Nurse.
This position is part-time, 20 hours per week, with a weekend and holiday requirement.
4 East is a 24-bed general, specialty and subspecialty medical unit with a high population of patients requiring respiratory or gastrointestinal management. Each single patient room is equipped with oxygen, compressed air and suction, along with state-of-the-art cardio respiratory bedside monitors and computers that enable the healthcare team to access a patient’s electronic medical record. These computers are also used in the barcoding administration of medications which ensures patient safety by verifying that the correct medication is given to the appropriate child. This unit’s goals are to provide high-quality, cost-effective, family-centered care. Family-centered care rounds are performed daily to assure an interprofessional approach and partnership with the patient and family.
1. Ensures an adequate stock of all necessary equipment and supplies in designated areas at established par levels.
2. Ensures a clean and safe patient care unit.
3. Assists patients with activities of daily life (bath, feed, play, etc.) and provides other patient care as directed.
4. Assures all supplies are accurately charged.
5. Contacts pharmacy, dietary, and other departments as designated by the Registered Nurse.
6. Collects patient specimens (blood, urine, stool, other per policy), paying close attention to patient safety, comfort and accuracy of information.
7. Uses Hospital Information Systems as required for patient care, (e.g. documenting vital signs and patient care activities.)
8. Accurately relays information from physicians, nurses, laboratory personnel and others.
9. Transports patients and delivers reports, supplies, etc., to other patient units or Institute locations as needed.
10. Courteously and professionally covers patient care unit front desk as needed. This includes promptly answering telephones, greeting patients, sending reports, distributing, sorting, or processing mail, entering orders, managing medical record, etc.
11. Responsible for participation in departmental and hospital programs for Quality Assessment and Improvement, identifying opportunities to improve services, making recommendations and implementing actions as appropriate and consistent with the goals of the Nemours Foundation.
12. Participates in unit, departmental and hospital education programs.
13. Attends unit/departmental meetings regularly.
14. Demonstrates proficiency in the care of patients of all ages; neonates, infants, toddlers, school aged, adolescents and adults.
Nursing student currently enrolled in BSN Nursing program preferred
Minimum 1 year patient care experience preferred.
Able to read and write accurately.
Able to understand laboratory orders, computer information, and some medical terminology.
Able to obtain specimens, including blood specimens, from a patient population that is primarily pediatric and often ill, handicapped, or restricted in some way.
Current AHA Healthcare Provider (HCP) Certification
Our dedication to professionals who are dedicated to children frequently earns Nemours a spot on the list of top workplaces in the communities we serve. Our Associates enjoy comprehensive benefits, including our unique “Bridge to a Healthy Future” pediatric health plan, an integrated wellness program, opportunities for professional growth, and much more. As an equal opportunity employer, Nemours focuses on the best-qualified applicants for our openings.
Internal Number: 30314
Nemours is committed to improving the health of children. As a non-profit children’s health organization, we consider the health of every child to be a sacred trust. Through family-centered care in our children’s hospitals and clinics in Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Florida, as well as world-changing research, education and advocacy, Nemours fulfills the promise of a healthier tomorrow for all children — even those who may never enter our doors. Nemours began more than 70 years ago with the vision of Alfred I. duPont to improve the lives of children and to do whatever it takes to prevent and treat even the most disabling childhood conditions. Today, through our children’s hospitals and health system, we directly care for 250,000 children annually in Delaware Valley and Florida, including families who travel from across the country and world to see our specialists — treating every child as we would our own. We also reach beyond the walls of our hospitals and clinics to be a voice for children on a national and international level, and to lead the way in prevention, intervention, education, and research. Nemours is growing to better serve the children and families in our ca...re. We have 1.1 million square feet of space currently devoted to providing children’s healthcare or under construction, all designed with significant input and advice from our patients and families.