Members of MemorialCare’s Healthcare Informatics job family use interdisciplinary knowledge, integrating computer, information, clinical, and decision sciences, toward the design, development, adoption, and application of IT-based innovations in healthcare services. Through computer technology, Informatics team members effectively manage data, information, and knowledge, including data storage, retrieval, transformation, and process improvement, to optimize use for problem solving and decision making. They assess current data and information practices, structure, and technology, determine the information-based needs of health care providers and patients, develop solutions using technology, and evaluate the impact of those interventions. The Informatics team uses evidence-based clinical knowledge to help ensure support of clinical objectives and best practice.
Clinical Informatics Specialist are considered subject matter experts in providing advanced levels of solutioning related to patient care workflows and operational efficiency and effectiveness. They are responsible for leading overall evaluation of use, and optimization of broad, cross-functional workflows in clinical information systems. They mentor Informatics resources and provide consultation on complex initiatives. They work collaboratively with enterprise senior leadership on clinical system solutions that contribute to key clinical or business metrics, helping to establish, track, and report on KPIs. Clinical Informatics Specialist maintain working knowledge of implemented applications and an understanding of how the functionality and patient care practices across the health care settings can be integrated to support MemorialCare’s strategic business and clinical initiatives.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities of the Job
1. Serve as key communication link to clinical leadership and governance bodies
2. Deliver solutions that ensure compatibility and integration with MemorialCare strategies
3. Serve as the bridge between clinicians, vendors and information technology professionals
4. Design future state workflows from a user perspective and delivers functional requirements
5. Function as a change agent, identifying both barriers to change, and driving impact as well as solutions to system, application and workflow issues.
6. Lead initiatives to optimize system functionality and workflow processes using Lean processes.
7. Evaluate and implement current and emerging technologies that drive MemorialCare toward strategic goals.
8. Apply clinical experience to advance end-user efficiency and enhance patient safety outcomes
9. Demonstrate collaboration across information service teams and operations for workflow analysis and input to application design
10. Coach team members as they develop informatics competencies
11. Provide functional and technical leadership for the implementation and support of software applications, enhancements, and modifications
12. Work cooperatively to develop resolutions to issues in response to user requests and concerns
13. Act as a liaison to clinical committees to educate and support existing technological tools and functionalities
14. Own responsibility for effective communication between staff, leadership, and stakeholders
15. Support best practice workflows and advocate for regulatory, quality, compliance and patient safety initiatives
16. Facilitate system implementation projects
17. Collaborate with operations to create and/or maintain reporting needs
18. Attain a cross-functional knowledge of the EHR system to effectively provide advanced navigation of the system
19. Be at work and be on time
20. Follow company policies, procedures and directives
21. Interact in a positive and constructive manner
22. Prioritize and multitask
Minimum of 7 years progressive clinical, Information Systems, and successful project management experience required
Clinical Informatics experience preferred
Epic application experience required
Experience with hospital information systems required
Experienced in working with electronic health information solutions, including electronic health records, practice management solutions and others
Proven competence in leading large and complex sized projects which can run in parallel; evidence of progress in project management assignments. Experienced in supporting users in maintaining changed processes and participating in post implementation change evaluation.
Proven knowledge of health care industry strategic business issues, social and legal environment
Proven ability to analyze troublesome complex workflows, and provide recommendations to implement more effectively and efficient tools
Demonstrated history of successful Epic build configurations for respective application
Demonstrated abilities in providing advanced information systems and end-user support
Proven knowledge of regulatory and accreditation guidelines that impact clinical system design and implementation
Proven experience understanding cross functional clinical workflows, maintained knowledge of clinical applications implemented, and an understanding of how the functionality and patient care practices across the health care settings can be integrated.
Confirmed experience in the ability to work on several complex issues at the same time in an organized manner. Experienced planning and organizing day-to-day activities, effectively managing more than one task, and meeting established deadlines.
Past success working individually, in team situations, as well as facilitating projects while meeting aggressive deadlines successfully
Demonstrated use of excellent organizational, communication skills, leadership skills, and interpersonal relations to achieve established goals
Proven ability to collect, analyze, and present data at various audience levels
Exhibited knowledge, compassion and professionalism to manage stressful situations in a manner that is conducive to finding resolution
Proven ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams and interact with all levels of the organization
Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Suite Office Products preferred
Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience required
Licensed healthcare professional
Epic Certification in one or more modules (NVT) required when working with Epic as the primary supported system
Internal Number: MEM003934
Let us introduce ourselves. We're MemorialCare, a nonprofit health system that includes four hospitals, two medical groups, imaging centers, surgical centers and much more. As one of the leading health systems in Orange County and Los Angeles County, we're confident that no matter what your needs are, we have the teams, tools and know-how to support you every step of the way.