Under general supervision and according to established policies and procedures the Trauma Data Registrar is responsible for identifying and abstracting trauma registry data cases by referencing primary and secondary sources of information; including abstracting information from EC Trauma Log, EMS runs sheets, computer systems and EMR on Chart, medical records, rounding independently or with TPM (Trauma Program Manager) and TMD (Trauma Medical Director) as needed to abstract information regarding treatment protocols/data/chart information etc. The registrar enters patient data into trauma registry according to established state and national protocols. Upload trauma date to National Trauma Data Base, State Data Base and Michigan TQIP. Completes each identified patient record in a timely manner as requested by the TPM; Screens incoming calls and correspondence and responds independently when possible. Directs preparation of records such as agenda, notices, minutes and resolutions for meetings. Composes and prepares confidential correspondence, reports and other complex documents. Network with other Trauma Registrars and attend Registrar seminars/classes and additional educational classes or meetings requested by the TPM/TMD
1. Trauma Registrar Course with two years work experience in ICD9/10 CM coding and trauma AIS/ISS coding/scoring coding or
2. (RHIT) Registered Health Informative Technician, Certified Professional Coder (CPC), Certified Coding Associate (CCA), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) or other coding certification related to the specialty area (i.e. Certified AIS Coder)
3. Education in advanced medical terminology and human anatomy and/or physiolgy and disease process preferred.
4. Must have Trauma Registrar Course (ATS American Trauma Society basic/ or advanced) or will take within six months of hire date.
5. At least 6 months of experience with ICD E-coding/ICD Procedure coding, TRISS scoring, trauma database (NTRAC, Trauma Base etc).
1. Trauma Database management experience with complex data structure.
2. Excellent organizational skills.
3. Proficient with a variety of other computer software products (i.e., MS Office-excel, PPT, with accomplished typing and/or data entry skills.
4. Excellent Communication Skills. The Trauma registrar must have the ability to read, analyze and interpret professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations. They must have the ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedural manuals. The positions requires the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
5. Working knowledge of trauma scoring and calculations to provide data analysis and trauma specific statistics, Injury Severity Score (ISS), Probability of Survival (PS), Revised Trauma Score (RTS), Pediatric Trauma Score (PTS), Glascow Coma Scale (GCS), and TRISS (expected/unexpected outcomes), Utilize Trauma Specific Software (NTRACS, Trauma Base).
Primary Location: Detroit, Michigan
Facility: DMC Children's Hospital of Michigan
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Days
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Internal Number: 1905009708
About DMC Children's Hospital of Michigan
“Tenet Healthcare Corporation is a diversified healthcare services company with 115,000 employees united around a common mission: to help people live happier, healthier lives. Through its subsidiaries, partnerships and joint ventures, including United Surgical Partners International, the Company operates general acute care and specialty hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care centers and other outpatient facilities. Tenet's Conifer Health Solutions subsidiary provides technology-enabled performance improvement and health management solutions to hospitals, health systems, integrated delivery networks, physician groups, self-insured organizations and health plans.