JOB SUMMARY: Designs, develops and responsible for the provision of tools that facilitate data decision support for the clinical and business enterprise of the pharmacy. Provides professional consultative oversight to the maintenance upgrading, evaluation and implementation of pharmacy systems related to the impact on data integrity and analytical ability associate with these clinical systems. Designs software tools for managing drug cost accounting and compliance with drug purchasing programs and data structure in institutional cost accounting tools.
Designs, develops and maintains data structure and systems that provide analytics to manage medication therapy analysis and the pharmacy business.
Assist the department in developing and teaching tools for data extraction and analysis.
Designs software tools for managing drug expense cost accounting and compliance for drug purchasing programs.
Conducts quality testing and oversees successful implementation and maintenance of pharmacy systems.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
PHARMACEUTICAL DRUG PREPARATION & DISPENSING (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully review, prepare and dispense prescribed medications. This includes being proficient in the general principles of aseptic technique utilized to compound sterile preparations (CSPs) to minimize the risk of contamination (where applicable).
MEDICATION MANAGEMENT - (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates proficiency in medication management in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully conducting Medication Management without requiring support and instruction from others. Has the ability to determine the clinical appropriateness of each medication taken by the patient, determine the appropriateness of the dose, dosage form, indication, contraindications, potential adverse effects and potential problems with concomitant medications. Able to monitor for therapeutic duplication or other unnecessary medications, interpret, monitor and assessing patient's laboratory results as they relate to medication therapy and provide drug information to other healthcare professionals, patients and their families.
PHARMACEUTICAL QUALITY ASSURANCE & COMPLIANCE (ADVANCED): - Possesses specialized knowledge of the appropriate rules and regulations and applies them in difficult, stressful and complex situations. Demonstrates expertise and advanced knowledge of process improvement, and quality assurance techniques. Understands the principles upon which the rules and regulations are based. Demonstrates a commitment to continuous quality improvement and maintains compliance with a federal, state and local regulations as well as VUMC policies and procedures. Able to explain rules and regulations that are ambiguous or unclear.
PHARMACEUTICAL COMPUTER LITERACY (ADVANCED): - Has demonstrated proficiency of the highest levels of expertise in applying both work applications and personal computer tools in highly complex or demanding situations. Has mastered the most advanced functions and features of those tools and applications which are in the incumbents area of specialty.
PHARMACY SYSTEMS INTEGRATION (ADVANCED): - Demonstrates high levels of expertise in developing systems integration solutions in challenging and complex situations using unique and/or unproven approaches with new technology. Demonstrates knowledge of the latest technologies in designing integrated systems. Often takes a lead role in highly pressurized situations when there is a need to achieve results quickly. Consistently delivers systems integration solutions in a creative and imaginative manner while setting a standard for others.
PHARMACY DATA MANAGEMENT (ADVANCED): - Demonstrates the ability to apply diverse areas of business knowledge to successfully meet broad Data Management objectives. Able to converse intelligently with users, customers, and management on the impact of this technology. Capable of discerning the impact of subtle changes in business and technology, and their impact on Data Management.
Organizational Impact: Delivers projects/assignments that have a direct impact on goals/objectives of the unit/department that the job is in.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Conducts extensive analysis of situations or data to resolve numerous, complex issues; may involve the input/work of others.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has in-depth level of knowledge within a professional area and working knowledge of other areas.
Team Interaction: May lead mid-sized projects; coaches and guides team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P4):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P4):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P4):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P4):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P4):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.