This position is PRN (as needed - variable schedule).
Patient Access Representatives facilitate a welcome and easy access to the facility and are responsible for establishing an encounter for any patient who meets the guidelines for hospital service. Patient Access staff ensures that all data entry is accurate including demographic and financial information for each account. Patient Access has numerous procedural requirements including data elements, insurance verification, authorization for services, and collections for all patient portions including prior balances. Patient Access staff is responsible for the successful financial outcome of all patient services. Patient Access communicates directly with patients and families, physicians, nurses, insurance companies, and third party payers. This position requires professional appearance, behavior, and good communication skills. Patient Access Representatives require dependability, flexibility, and teamwork.
1. Maintains consistency with Administrative and Departmental policies with appropriate behavior, dress, attitude, attendance, confidentiality, professionalism, and reliability.
2. Accurately inputs all required data elements for scheduling and registration, including patient demographic, financial information, guarantor information, and relevant notes associated with the encounter.
3. Verifies eligibility and obtains necessary authorizations for services rendered.
4. Calculates and collects the estimated patient portion based on benefits and contract reimbursement as well as prior balances.
5. Performs financial assessment for appropriate program assistance.
6. Communicates the purpose of and obtains patient/legal guardian signatures on all necessary hospital documents.
7. Represents the Patient Access department in a professional, courteous manner at ALL times.
8. Required to assist the hospital in the event of an internal or external disaster.
9. Supports the flexible needs of the department to accommodate patient volume in all areas of the hospital. This may require assignment to another area of the department, and shift change.
10. Supports the flexible needs of the department to accommodate patient volume in all areas of the hospital. This may require assignment to another area of the department, and shift change.
11. Supports the department in achieving established performance goals.
12. Completes required training as needed.13. Performs all other duties as assigned.